Monday, January 26, 2009

Layoff Survivors Having Post Traumatic Stress?

Guilty and Stressed, Layoff Survivors Suffer, Too, by JoNel Aleccia, discusses how surviving a corporate layoff affects those employees remaining behind. Common symptoms include:
  • Increased stress because of picking up additional workload and wondering if you will be next.
  • Decline in morale
  • Lack of security and confidence that their job is safe

As a corporate manager I have had to lay people off and now, this is the second time that I have been laid off. Of the two, I would prefer to be the employee getting laid off.


When I'm the one getting laid off, I know my personal situation, my strengths, weaknesses, and have already formulated plans on how to recover. When I have to lay an employee off, I don't know how prepared they are for a life turning point of this magnitude. You can read their emotions very clearly in their eyes and often it's a gut wrenching experience for both of you.

Being laid off, I'm free to choose my next path and there is no feelings of survivors guilt, wondering if I'll be next.

No comments:

Post a Comment