Saturday, January 24, 2009

Laid Off After 15 years

Well, it happened. Rumours had been flying about layoffs at Microsoft for months. It finally came to pass Thursday. I was one of 1400 people whose positions were eliminated. Still another 3600 to go over the next 18 months.

I came around the corner and stopped at my door suddenly as my manager was there sitting down with tears in her eyes. Across from her, sat the HR representative. My immediate thought was "oh, crap." I sat down and they proceeded to let me know my position was eliminated. The rest of the meeting went quickly with references to the severance package. Like many others in a similar situation, I couldn't help thinking about what am I going to do. Fifty four years old and earning a a very good salary as a manager of field escalation engineers.

My manager and HR urged me to go home and return the next day to go back over the severance package. I drove home slowly, chain smoking cigarettes. Mary, my wife, was out visiting our grandson and daughter in law. I chose not to tell her that morning as I wasn't sure of her reaction and she has a heart condition. On the way home my daughter called to see how I was doing. I gave her the news and suggested her family come over to the house that night for dinner. It was great to have the kids come over and "circle the wagons."

All in all, I know I'm going to be ok. I'm taking some time to decompress and give some serious thought as to what is next in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment